Speak up. Speak out. Be heard.




Friday, May 7, 2010

In New York.

It happened! New York. We went, we saw, we protested the hell out of Wall St, and it was awesome. More than anything is was so empowering being around 10,000 other people who were using their voices in exactly the place they needed to be heard. We marched and held signs and said what needed to be said. And maybe, just maybe I flipped off Chase and let it all pour out as we walked by. And then of course I came home to find that my account was overdrawn. Oh, life. I had meant to close it before we left but there was some transaction going through (that I couldn't even recall) but there you have it. It still felt good. It was like this giant weight was lifted off my shoulders as we screamed together in unison there on Wall St.
I feel like this trip changed me in some way. It made me feel really connected to humans. A connection that I felt I had been lacking for quite awhile. Being around people of all colors and classes and ages just felt so amazingly good. Along with protesting, NY was 5 days of pure fun. I made new friends, rode the carousel in Central Park, saw the Statue of Liberty, bought falafel at 2 am next to Times Square, drank margaritas in Brooklyn, slept in a couple of really comfortable beds, wore a fluffy plush robe, saw the AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT Sister Spit, and so much more. It was the perfect trip.

Here is the video to prove it.

4 comments:

Stacy K. said...

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!! (use that song!!)

Awesome video. I'm very jealous. Looks like you gals had a rad time.

I have to tell you that I cried out "Oh no! EWWWW!" with the gum thing & Brittany...

chantal said...

ahhhh I always love your video collages! It always inspires me to make my own.

---- said...

Stacy, I'm such a cliché! But I sort of totally love that song and come on, SO FITTING!

hohohoho. Dude. I want to move to NY now so badly. I missed Kate unfortunately but understandable since she's super busy and I'm bad at emailing back in a timely manner as you know.

---- said...

Chantal YOU'RE THE BEST, thank you!